On Tuesday 6th November at 11.00 UK time, IIMS opened the first 24-hour non-stop marathon Marine Surveying International Fest 2018, hosted live from the Institute’s offices in Portchester, Hampshire. The aim of the event was to recognise and celebrate as many different branches of the surveying profession as possible through a series of twenty four presentations with a new subject being introduced on the hour every hour. Presentations were delivered by experts in their field from various worldwide locations including Australia, New Zealand, America, Singapore, South Korea, UAE, India, Europe and the UK.
The presentations have been recorded and are available to purchase. Just one low fee gives you access to the entire video content, which is not being made publicly available at this time.
Here is a review of the content that was delivered:
1. Mike Schwarz, IIMS CEO and Capt John Lloyd, Nautical Institute CEO spoke in earnest about aspects of the marine
2. Capt Zarir Irani presented: Latest trends in surveying using new techniques for evidence collection
3. Professor Christopher Abraham explained the concept of VUCA (volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity) as he talked about why we need to open our eyes to disruptive technologies happening all around us
4. Jon Sharland, Tritex NDT Ltd, presented: Ultrasonic thickness gauges and how to use them
5. Milind Tambe presented: What a surveyor needs to know about making best use of a digital camera and digital image asset management
6. Paul Winter presented: Effective report writing and reducing the potential of claims from a PI underwriting perspective
7. Mick Uberti presented: From ISM code to Domestic Commercial Vessels
8. Phil Duffy presented: Large yacht and small craft valuations
9. Andrew Drage, Copper Development Association, presented: The corrosion behaviour of metals in seawater
10. Simon Ward, MatthewsDaniel presented: From jack-up to belly up
11. Andy Ridyard, SeaSystems Electrical Controls presented: Teach a man to fish – electrical controls
12. Nippin Anand, DNV GL, presented: Near miss reporting: A (mis)leading indicator of safety?
13. Mike Schwarz presented three short business management topics: Looking good on the web, cashflow management and strategy preparation
14. Luc Verley presented: Dredging technology
15. Peter Broad presented: Big commercial shipbuilding – the challenges and highlights
16. Ken Livingstone presented: A basic introduction to subsea
17. Gary Lowell presented: An Introduction to surveying wooden runabouts
18. Jason Wee, Claims Director, Standard Club presented: The role of a P&I Club surveyor
19. Nick Parkyn presented: A background and introduction to synthetic yacht rigging
20. Mike Wall presents: Speed and angle of blow assessment
21. Capt Ruchin Dayal presented: Iron ore fines – IMSBC Code 2018
22. Karen Brain, Matrix Insurance presented: How to write an expert report for court
23. Jayan Pillai presented: Firefighting on ships and boats
24. The Fest concluded with a panel discussion with a group of ‘veteran surveyors’ with a combined age of 400 plus years. They spoke openly about the challenges of surveying, what makes a good surveyor calling on their considerable experience and wisdom.
Access to all twenty-four videos is available for one fee. The cost is just £100 (less than £5 per presentation). This entitles you to unlimited access to the entire video content at your leisure.
To purchase access, please click the link below and pay online.
The post Inaugural Marine Surveying International Fest 2018 voted a hit appeared first on The International Institute of Marine Surveying (IIMS).